The Christie NHS Foundation Trust
Full Job Description
To provide a high standard of care for patients and family members working within a recognized framework in accordance with the NMC Code of Professional Conduct, The Christie Policies, and Health and Safety Legislation.
We are looking to recruit a motivated nurse to work on our Adult Haematology and TYA ward extension which is merged with our successful ambulatory care unit.
Applications are welcome from enthusiastic, motivated nurses, who display initiative and possess excellent communication skills.
Experience in Haematology and stem cell transplant/Teenage and young adult experience is desirable. Training and support will be given.
Accountable to: 1. Unit Manager
1. Sister/ Charge Nurse
Other Accountabilities: 1. Modern Matron
Responsible for: 1. Health Care Assistant Staff
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- As part of the team help to achieve and maintain a high standard of patient care and take individual responsibility for the nursing care of a group of patients as a Registered Nurse, ensuring privacy & dignity is maintained whilst being aware of physical and psychological needs
- Welcome patients and introduce them to the ward/ ambulatory care unit and ensure they are offered a welcome booklet
- To be aware of the needs of relatives, and offer support, advice and direction to most appropriate supporting agencies
- To give and receive a clear and accurate update at change of duties and ensure accurate documentation of nursing interventions
- To participate in the rehabilitation of patients and offer relatives any necessary instructions and support
- Ensure that prescribed drugs and treatments are stored and administered correctly and in accordance with the Hospital Procedure and Policy
- To liaise with medical and para-medical personnel and community organisations to ensure timely and safe discharges and transfers
- Administer blood products correctly and in accordance with Hospital Procedure and Policy
- Undertake national training programs and in line with Trust policies to administer both infusional and bolus chemotherapy via established central lines and peripheral cannula
- Assist in the checking of and safe administration of intrathecal chemotherapy according to national guidelines and trust policy
- Participate in nursing procedures appropriate to the department
- Ensure the safe and timely throughput of patients, liaising closely with the ward/ unit co-ordinator, medical staff, specialist and research nurses, bed manager, and other staff as appropriate
- Provide a supportive role within the Unit for nursing, medical and clerical staff
- To liaise as needed with referring hospitals, GP’s, and community nursing teams
- To follow the correct procedure when notifying relatives of seriously ill patients and those who have died
- Be prepared to learn new skills and perform procedures required of the role.
- To participate in the Palatine Treatment Centre rotation program as required
18. Support and assist in the induction/training of junior staff/Health Care Assistant’s acting as mentors to designated staff
- To highlight areas of improvement/development within the department and undertake relevant projects
- Assist in the provision of meals/refreshments for patients
- Help to maintain a safe environment and report faults/risks etc to the nurse in charge
- Liaise with staff member responsible for stores/stationery and ordering and assist in the maintenance of stock levels
- To participate in internal rotation to night duty, weekend work and long day shifts as routinely required
- 1. Lead by example and act as a positive role model for all staff, taking responsibility for own professional development
- To complete the Ward/Unit introductory pack and all other training packages assisted by the Clinical Practice facilitator team
- Complete Principles and Practice of Intravenous Skills Programme and Cannulation Skills Training and update as required
- Attend all mandatory training study days and undertake/ update all e-learning in accordance with Trust and Unit guidance
- Participate in the theoretical and practical professional instruction and support of all learners
- Undertake and maintain UKONS SACT Administration Skills
- Monitor the progress of learners, in particular, their skills in carrying out practical procedures
- Participate in all Palatine Treatment Centre training for JACIE and HTA accreditation
- Utilize the Q pulse quality management system in order to access and adhere to standard operating procedures
- Demonstrate a pleasant and approachable manner at all time and help create and promote a good working relationship and promote the unit aims and objectives and Trust Value
- Maintain confidentiality with regard to patient information both at work and outside of working hours, ensure information governance training is undertaken annually and endorsed
- To be aware of and adhere to all policies including; sickness and absence, confidentiality, uniform, and responsibilities under the Health and Safety at work act and be familiar with all risk assessments pertinent to the ward and unit
- Report and record all accidents and complaints according to the agreed policy
- To show respect for members of the team and endorse the ward/ unit’s philosophy of giving mutual support
To apply for this job please visit uk.indeed.com.