Canadian Light Source Inc.
Mechanical Engineering Intern
Full Job Description
The Canadian Light Source Inc. (CLSI) is a national research facility of the University of Saskatchewan. CLS produces very bright light to explore the nature and structure of molecules, and serves national and international users from academia, industry, and government institutions.
- Working with a professional engineer, the selected candidate will be responsible for the design work and management of small and medium sized projects for specific beamlines in the facility.
- These projects may involve conceptual design, assisting in drawing generation, requisitioning appropriate parts and machining work, and organizing final assembly.
- The position involves working closely with the scientific and technical staff to develop the requirements to meet scientific and technical needs, and may involve working with consultants or contractors to realize the project.
- Additionally, the successful candidate may be involved with other CLS projects and programs including the design and maintenance of conventional building systems and technical systems. These may include building controls, HVAC, technical cooling water, pneumatics, fire protection, laboratories, cryogenics, other mechanical systems.
- Duties may involve knowledge of machine design, motion control, precision survey & alignment, heat transfer, finite element analysis, and ultrahigh vacuum.
- As part of a skilled engineering development and support team, you will assist in the enhancement and technical support of designs, systems and operations of the facility.
- Successful completion of the third year of a degree in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline with the expectation that you will return to continue your studies after the internship is completed.
- Experience in a design and/or fabrication environment is desirable.
- Experience with engineering analysis tools like Microsoft Excel and MATLAB would be considered an asset
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with others and independently
- Strong at problem solving and analytical thinking
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.