Head of Engineering
Join the fastest growing and most vibrant tech start-up in Africa. Makwa IT is a South African born, 100% Black & Youth Digital Technologies company, established. We have presence in 8 provinces within South Africa with our Head Office based in the heart of business activities, JHB, Waterfall. Our certified and specialised resources focus on customised solutions across the ICT spectrum. You’ll be part of a team that passionately cares about its customers, insists on having fun and focuses on making an impact in society.
Duties & Responsibilities
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
• Provide expert multi-technology advice to internal and external clients.
• Analysing and providing strategies and solutions on all aspects of application software, infrastructure and related technology components.
• Advise and execute on the best design for information technology architectures.
• Develop and maintain deep technical expertise in the Makwa’s product portfolio. Researches and investigates emerging infrastructure technologies and the best practices associated with these trends.
• Designs and communicates high level structure to enable and guide the design and development of integrated solutions that meet current and future business needs.
• Use client business requirements to advise on the design, deployment and operation of application infrastructures.
• Create designs that provide holistic views, but also contain the details of the components and interconnections between components.
• Work with Account Managers and Engineering to assist clients with developing strategic visions as they move towards enterprise-class solutions. Typical activities include consultative whiteboard sessions with clients, analysing technical and process data, designing solutions, creating project task outlines, creating scopes of work and quote generation assistance.
• Drives a sales process through a 90-day sales cycle with a 120-day pipeline view.
• Budget preparation and fiscal management.
• Involved with projects at the time of inception and is involved along with the project manager in the planning and governance of projects and the functional analysis (FA) of developing the initial requirements. Bill of Material and Proposals.
• Execution of projects, responsible for good quality of Solution Requirement, Solution Design, Network Implementation and Testing Documents.
• Contribute advice on improving methodology frameworks.
• Manage the proof of concept (POC) / (POV) initiatives.
• Researches and investigates emerging infrastructure technologies and the best practices associated with these trends.
• Contribute to the improvement of internal effectiveness by contributing to improving current methodologies, processes and tools.
• Responsible for business theory, processes, management, budgeting, and business office operations
• Deliver on Digital Transformation and Digital technology initiatives across the organization.
• Deliver on Business Intelligence initiatives across the organization.
• Provide specialist strategic insights on the user experience, System Unification, security, customer centricity, journeys and behaviours.
• Lead Makwa strategic and operational planning to achieve goals by fostering innovation, prioritizing Makwa initiatives, and coordinating the evaluation, deployment, and management of current and future IT systems across the organization.
• Facilitate alignment of Makwa strategy to business strategy and cost benefit analysis for Makwa spending and initiatives.
• Establish and enhance Makwa departmental goals, objectives, and operating procedures.
• Develop the divisional plan in line with overall business plan including the customer engagement strategy and clear value propositions to achieve efficiency/ bundling solutions and the profit and loss accounts of the unit.
• Ensure continuous delivery of Makwa services through oversight of service level agreements with end users and monitoring of Makwa systems performance.
• Make relevant input into recruitment, development, and retention of all Makwa staff in accordance with corporate budgetary objectives and personnel policies.
• Develop, track, and control the information technology annual operating and capital budgets.
• Assess and make recommendations on the improvement or re-engineering of the IT organization.
• Ensure achievement of ROI on Makwa Investments.
• Support company convergence strategy and drive the creation of products and commercial processes to support customer business requirements.
• Identify emerging information technologies to be assimilated, integrated and introduced into the company.
• Prepare divisional budget, develop, track and control Opex and Capital budgets.
• Ensure robust network security (including communication lines and equipment), disaster recovery, business continuity plan and direct systems development and acquisition.
• Promote and oversee strategic relationships and partnerships between internal Makwa resources and external entities including the larger organization, Vendors, Partner organisations etc.
• Lead and align the engineering team with the company’s vision.
• Prioritize and delegate tasks to the team.
• Develop, inspire, mentor, and evaluate the engineering team.
• Create positive team culture (e.g. curious, mutually challenging, collaborative)
• Collaborate with cross-functional peers and leaders to deliver projects.
• Improve engineering quality and efficiency (e.g. improve workflow, code review, etc.)
• Hire qualified candidates to strengthen the company and team.
Desired Experience & Qualification
Knowledge, Skills, and Attributes:
• Ability to construct solutions using expertise of more of the functions offerings.
• Understanding of distribution & channels go to market model.
• Industry knowledge around Enterprise Networking or Security or Cloud or Collaboration solutions.
• Experienced in selling SaaS solutions and performing technical demonstrations.
• Industry knowledge of relevant solutions sets, product line specifications, performance criteria and applications.
• Competitive knowledge (in area of specialization) including solution, technology and product offerings
• Understands the value of Scripting, Software and Everything as a Service.
• Knowledge of vendor roadmaps, new developments and new product offerings.
• Display the required interpersonal and communication skills to effectively interact with a variety of stakeholders.
• Ability to share and communicate ideas clearly, both orally and in writing, to executive staff, business sponsors, and technical resources in clear concise language.
• In-depth understanding of the telecommunication and ICT industry to better advice business in financial matters.
• Applicability/ localisation to attain best customer experience.
• Strong collaboration with all divisional heads.Academic Qualifications and Certifications:
• Degree in Information Technology, Information Systems, Computer Science or related field of study or equivalent work experience.
• Cisco CCIE
• 15 years’ experience and senior management track record of 5 years or more.
• Worked across diverse cultures and geographies.
• Experience in multiple industries and across several disciplines.
• Experience working as a solution architect in a global IT services provider organisation.
• Advanced experience in managing and/or directing Makwa operations.
• A strong understanding of core technology including networks, OS, Storage, Database.
• Demonstrated ability to solving business problems and resource management.
• Proven strategic planning, design and execution.
• Awareness and understanding of international trends and the development in the Makwa industry.
• Strong influencing with negotiation skills.
• Network availability management.
• Contract and vendor management.
To apply for this job please visit www.pnet.co.za.